Industries worldwide are going through a digital transformation, and the automobile industry is at the forefront of this evolution. The advent of Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things and the like, have paved the way for the vehicles of the future. ‘Connected Cars’ is the buzzword in the automobile industry and is truly the next generation automotive equipment.
What Are Connected Cars
The world is increasingly oriented towards automation, and connected mobility is at the forefront of the digital revolution. So, what are connected cars?
Powered by emerging technologies such as AI, IoT, Cloud Computing, natural language processing, etc., connected cars offer intuitive services that provide drivers and passengers an out-of-the-world driving experience that can only be dreamt of.
Significant Features of Connected Cars
The following are the salient features of connected cars. These vehicles will become the most preferred medium of transportation for the modern commuter.
- Over The Air (OTA) Assistance – As with any other internet-connected devices, connected cars are designed to receive regular updates via the OTA. Drivers and car owners need not have to go through the hassle of tracking updates and upgrades. All software and OS upgrades are taken care of automatically
- Voice-Powered Ride Assistant – These vehicles are powered with cloud-based, AI-enabled voice assistance capabilities. These can process over 100 voice commands and respond to simple instructions, like opening the window, etc. They can adapt themselves to offer a responsive experience to the user. Thanks to Natural Language Understanding technology, these voice assistants can modulate according to different accents and language semantics.
- App-based remote connectivity – Connected cars are indeed connected. These can be connected to mobile apps downloaded on the user’s smartphones to remotely carry out operations and receive updates. The app enables the user to perform several functions such as checking on the fuel availability, remotely lock or unlock the vehicle, etc. They can configure security and maintenance alerts, such as abnormal tyre pressure, etc.
- Advanced navigation capabilities – OTA-driven online navigation system provides real-time traffic updates and can also initiate the auto-pilot feature as needed.
Connected Vehicles are pioneers in what will come to be known as Vehicle-to-Vehicle (V2V) communication. The next decade is bound to witness this as an essential feature in premium vehicles.
Some Of The Other Trends In Automobile Industry
In addition to connecting vehicles, the following are some technological trends, all set to revolutionize the automobile industry.Check Out Here – https://www.autonews.com/commentary/3-trends-could-fuel-success-2020 .
- Autonomous Vehicles – It all started when Google experimented with autonomous driving. Instantly, the topic started trending worldwide, and autonomous vehicles were projected as an emerging technology in the automobile sector. Autonomous vehicles are genuinely empowering and offer numerous benefits from safe driving to providing independence to the disabled and the elderly who can’t drive.
- 3D Printing – This presents the most cost-effective way of designing cars. In general, cars are designed to withstand as many as 3 -5 crashes over a lifespan of 7-10 years. With 3D printing, the cars can be designed to have a more robust chassis, and a body developed for just a single crash. It presents an economical option of replacing just the body without disturbing the chassis in the event of a crash.
- Blockchain – Fake parts in the market have been a major concern for the automobile industry for several years. Blockchain is viewed as a possible solution to address this issue. Eliminating fake and faulty products from the market can improve the pricing strategies for end products. E.g., if an auto manufacturer receives faulty spares causing repeated recalls of the vehicle, blockchain can help him trace the faulty spare to the supplier and eliminate the problem at the source.
- Green Energy/Electric Vehicle – With depleting non-renewable sources of energy, the world is forced to look beyond and adopt greener technology. Auto-makers who took the plunge in manufacturing electric vehicles are beginning to reap benefits with the demand for such vehicles expecting to increase during this decade. Industry experts vouch that electric vehicles may be a cost-effective alternative to petrol/diesel-powered vehicles.
The automobile industry has always been a trailblazer when it comes to adopting newer technologies. As the above trends take shape, the road to the future can offer a much more exciting ride. It is time to fasten the seat belts!